Transue Brothers Blacksmith and Wagon Shop

History

The blacksmith business in Summerfield, Kansas is by far the oldest continuous business in the town, having started with the town and is still in operation today. John Thomas Hutton had the Climax shop on north Main. C.W. Reynolds was operating the Excelsior blacksmith shop on south Main.

The Buffman brothers moved Mission Creek's only blacksmith shop to Summerfield and named it the Challenge. John Thomas Hutton's Climax blacksmith shop is the only business that has been at this location since the town started in 1889.

There have only been four propietors of this shop: John Thomas Hutton, Brothers George and James Transue, Dale L. Robeson, and David Zahm.

  • John Thomas Hutton Climax Blacksmith Shop (1889 - 1893)
  • Transue Bros. Blacksmithing and Wagon Shop (1893 - 1946)
  • Robeson Blacksmithing and Repair Shop (1946 - 2008)
  • Zahm's Blacksmithing and Wagon Shop (2007 - Present)

The town started with almost a hundred tents set up south and east of town where the men were surveying for the railroad, and then they started building the right-of-way and laying railroad track for the new railroad that was to join the St. Joseph and Grand Island to the Burlington railroad.

During the year of 1888, the Kansas City Wyandotte and Northwestern Railroad came through. Later this track of rail became the Missouri Pacific System. The railroad companies were engaged in surveying a route for a proposed lline from Kansas City to Beatrice, Nebraska.

Once the land was plotted out and the lots sold, the buildings seemed to almost just spring up from out of the earth.

The town was named in honor of Elis Summerfield, who was the managing superintendent of the railroad at that time the town was started.

Virginia, Nebraska was the terminal of the road and not to Beatrice as planned. The first train came into town in February of 1889 and the last whistle sounded on October 31, 1919 when the train was removed from this area...


Website Builder